According to the National Air Duct Cleaners Association, air ducts need to be cleaned about three to five years on average. Your home’s location, your pets and the lifetime of your air filters—along with many other factors—can influence the amount of time between cleanings. How can you know if it’s time to have your ducts cleaned? We’ve got some indications that you should watch for.
Look for these clues:
1. When your vents are fully opened, do any have less adequate airflow than others?
2. Can you hear noise other than your blower motor when you listen to the airflow?
3. Is there anything blocking your cold air return vent?
4. When you look inside with a flashlight, do you see a buildup of debris or pet fur?
5. Have insects or rodents fashioned a home in your ductwork?
6. Are your cold air returns coated with dust or pet hair?
7. Are your registers pushing out dust?
If you answered “yes” to any of these questions, it might be time to reach out to Stieferman Heating Company Inc in Jefferson City about air duct cleaning.
Prolonging Time Between Air Duct Cleaning
While professional cleanings are important, there are actions you can take to protect your ducts and extend the time between professional cleanings.
Most importantly, schedule consistent HVAC maintenance with the pros at Stieferman Heating Company Inc. A regular checkup of your furnace in the fall and air conditioning unit in the spring will keep your HVAC system operating at peak performance. Examining your system often and replacing the air filter when necessary will also help keep your ducts open.
Additional ways you can help care for your ducts:
• Seal air duct leaks that let dirt in from areas such as your attic.
• Check your air filters often and put in new filters when needed.
• Regularly dust and vacuum your house.
• Replace air duct insulation if it is in poor or wet condition.
Keeping your ducts open will help you make sure the air in your Jefferson City home is clean. Don’t forget to use these preventative measures and schedule a professional duct cleaning when needed. Call the experts at Stieferman Heating Company Inc at 573-203-3908 or schedule an appointment online.