Spring is in the air here in Jefferson City and that means vacation plans are around the corner. While you’re sorting through what you need to pack and take with you, don’t forget what you’re leaving behind, your home. The Stieferman Heating Company Inc team has some recommendations that will assist in keeping your home secure and help save some money on your utility bills while you revel in a well-deserved vacation.
- Install Timers - Timers are a low cost way to make your home look as though someone is home by turning off and on the lights as if you never left. It’s a wise idea to program your lights to coincide with your regular schedule.
- Enlist the help of a house-sitter - If you have a dependable friend or family member, ask them if they’d mind stopping by and [[checking in on|check up on|look over]18 the house while you’re away. There’s no greater comfort than a text while you’re away letting you know that everything at home is just fine.
- Wait to share - We aren’t going to ask you not to share photos of your fabulous trip on social media, but try to wait until after you make it home to post photos of your trip. Family and friends presumably already know you’re leaving so there’s no need in letting potential criminals know your itinerary. Everyone will be just as excited about the amazing things you saw after you safely return home.
- Hold the Mail - The USPS has made it easier than ever to put a hold on your mail you can do it online right now.
- Unplugged - If an electrical device is plugged in, even if it’s not on, it’s using energy. An effortless way to cut back on energy while you’re away is to unplug a couple of your electronics. Something that you may overlook unplugging is your garage door. It will cut back on energy and it will also be another safeguard for your home.
- Adjust the thermostat - If you’re out of town there’s no need to keep your home heated and cooled to your comfort level. If you have a digital thermostat you can set the thermostat back to your usual level so you arrive back to a safe, cozy home.
These are some painless tips to add to your spring break prep list, right after finding the perfect bathing suit. If you have any questions about safeguarding your home this season or want to talk about additional energy saving tips, give Stieferman Heating Company Inc in Jefferson City a call at 573-635-3547.