Summer weather in Jefferson City can be a bear. But you don’t have to pick between being comfortably cool and saving money on your utility bills. We’ve assembled some tips to make it simple.
The greatest thing you can do to stay comfortable and maintain energy efficiency is by tending to your air conditioner. ENERGY STAR® recommends keeping your system operating dependably and efficiently, and Stieferman Heating Company Inc can assist. During an AC tune-up appointment, we’ll perform the following tasks suggested by ENERGY STAR and more:
- Tighten all electrical connections and measure voltage and current on motors to ensure safe operation of your system and the possibility of a longer lifecycle for major components.
- Clean the air conditioner’s evaporator and condenser coils as needed. Dirty coils require your system to work longer to do its job.
- Check system controls to be sure of correct and safe operation.
- Look at refrigerant levels.
- Clean and adjust blower components to be sure of correct system airflow.
Another crucial piece to staying cool is regularly checking your air conditioner’s air filter. A dirty filter may boost energy costs and damage your equipment, which may lead to premature failure. Our Stieferman Heating Company Inc professionals will inspect these for you at your tune-up appointment, but you’ll want to take a look at the manufacturer’s recommendations to arrange your own schedule to switch them out.
Here are some other tips to keep your home comfy and energy-efficient:
- Look at thermostat settings to ensure your air conditioner keeps you comfy when you are home and saves energy while you are away.
- If it’s cool at night, you can turn off your air conditioner and open your windows. Let the crisp air cool your place for you! In the morning, shut your windows and window coverings to trap the cool air and block the sun’s heat.
- Utilize fans. An ENERGY-STAR ceiling fan will allow you to set your thermostat a bit higher than you normally would without noting any changes in your comfort level.
- Another style of fan people often forget about when they’re trying to keep cool is their bathroom ventilation fan. Make certain to run yours when you shower as well as 20 minutes or longer after you’re done to remove the heat and humidity from your house.
- Avoid leaving lights on and running many appliances on the hottest days. Obviously, your stovetop and oven add heat into your home, but even everyday activities like watching TV, working on the computer, and drying or curling your hair can boost the heat in your home.
If you’d like more ideas on how to keep your home cool and energy efficient this summer, give Stieferman Heating Company Inc at call at 573-203-3908 or request an appointment with us online.